BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 24, 2011

On my mind...

I am sorry, but today on my blog I have no pictures or anything to show. I just have a lot of thoughts I want to write down. Today I had a dentist appointment and then after my mom and I went to my grandma’s house for a visit. We all had a really good talk and we were talking about my recovery and she told me she thought that I was amazing for what I had gone through blah, blah, blah but I never told her how amazing she is and what I thought about her for what she has done, for her selflessness of taking care of someone else. I hope that my Grandma Mary-Jane gets to read this since I never told her what I thought to her face. My Grandma Mary-Jane and Grandpa Ronald have been taking care of my Aunt Stephanie who is severely handicap for more than 30 years. She is like a big baby, probably 2 years old trapped in a grown woman’s body. They have to feed her, dress her, bathe her, do everything for her! Now that is complete selflessness right there. I mean, being a mother is very selfless but hopefully as they grow older the child will become more independent and the parent will gain back their freedom as time goes on. Then, hopefully around 18, 19, 20ish the child will move out and start a life of their own but for my grandparents that never happened. My Grandma said today that she can’t remember the last time she felt totally free while having Stephanie to take care of. Lately, a couple events have made me have a lot on my mind. Some things when I think about makes me very frustrated. Lately, I have been thinking about how unfair life seems to be at times, like really, why some of us have to suffer so much and we never did something wrong and some people abuse their agency and it never seems like they suffer as much! I mean, really, why has my Grandparents had to live more than 30 years of their lives being controlled by the needs of someone else? Really, WHY??? Why does their freedom get taken away when they never abused it in the first place? Anyway, I shouldn’t complain, time will tell all answers, and if not in this life, we will know in the next. They never complain though, so I shouldn’t either. All I know, they are angels that will be blessed immensely! And just so people know, I am really grateful for what I have gone through and what I go through right now, I have learned a lot and it has helped me to realize so many thing I don’t think I would have realized never going through this stroke before. Anyway, I can’t remember if I ever mentioned on this blog about how miraculous our bodies are. So, if I did I am sorry but I am going to mention it again. I think I told this story before but I am going to tell it again. It was about six months after my stroke and I still was using my walker, I couldn’t stand on my own. I remember talking to my older sister, Aubrey about how if my stroke had caused my legs to become paralyzed (and I am so grateful it didn’t) I would become an amazing tennis player or become something amazing with my arms. Then she said to me “think of how jealous Satan is, we can accomplish so many amazing things with just a small portion of our bodies” or something like that. Our bodies are SO AMAZING! He is so incredibly jealous that we can accomplish so much with just a small portion of our bodies because he can’t do anything he tries to get us, all with bodies, to become like him and destroy and ruin our amazing functioning bodies! We all are sooooo blessed and life is wonderful!!! Anyway, that is my thoughts, thanks for listening! ;)

5 comments:

Amy said...

thanks for posting Heidi!! grandma and grandpa are so amazing! you are such a sweetheart :)

Charlie said...

Hey Heidi. My name is Charlie Pasquale I think we went to Jr high together. I enjoyed your post. You're right our bodies are amazing. About 2 months ago I had a right brain stroke. I was completely paralyzed for a while but as the weeks have gone by I have gotten movement back everywhere but some of my face. I wanted to tell you I'm glad I found your blog I love how optomistic you are and knowing there is someone else out there who went through something similar is nice for me. I'm glad you're doing better and hope you continue to improve.

Jen and Josh said...

I was surprised to read about your Grandparents and your Aunt. I'll admit I remember all the time Marie telling me about her, but since then I'd forgotten. But I just wanted to say, as someone who works in group homes with people with disabilities I think it is so amazing your Grandparents are still taking care of Stephanie. Many of the people I help care for live in a group home either because family couldn't care for them on their own, or they didn't want to. I work with people who have no contact with their families at all. Most have suffered some sort of abuse in their lives from bad staff. Stephanie has been very blessed to have loving family to care for her. And I know your Grandparents will be greatly blessed for caring for her. I once heard from someone I work with that the reason she loved her job so much is because she is working with Gods most precious children. I've also heard it described as working with those who are of the Celestial Kingdom. I know it's easy to say poor them for being stuck with her, but really I think it's lucky them for recieving so many more blessings for caring for her. (But ofcourse thats easy for me to say since I get to go home each night and not care for my clients 24/7) Sorry to say so much, just felt like I should share another side of looking at it. Hope you don't mind.

Loni said...

I always talk about this with my mom, it's amazing that grandma and grandpa still take care of Stephanie the way they do. It's amazing! I can barely even take care of myself! I wish I knew why some peoples lives are harder than others, but I think we will know why later. You are amazing too Heidi! I love you so much!

Roxane said...

Heidi thanks so much for writing about your Grandma and Grandpa. You said all the things we feel about them. We are so lucky to have them as examples as they constantly teach us about unconditional love. I love my mom and dad! I also appreciate all that you have taught me as you have gone through your trial! You'll never know how very much you have influenced others with your amazing strength! Love ya lots!